Reed Accountancy are working with a high profile Public Sector client based near Meadowhall who are looking for a Management Accountant to join their Finance Team.
Purpose of the position - Lead the budget setting and budget monitoring processes in accordance with corporate timetables. Develop the accountancy function to contribute to overall financial objectives.
Main Duties Include:
- To lead the budget setting process and provide clear direction to the Accountants and Finance Officers. To time-table, co-ordinate and produce high quality working papers and allocate tasks to the team. Ensure all growth, savings and changes are captured and actioned, linking in with the Finance Business Partnering (FBP) Team as appropriate.
- To lead on the production of the capital programme, linking in with the FBP Team to ensure this aligns to IT, VFM and FM strategies and all new schemes are captured.
- Lead and co-ordinate the month end processes to ensure they are completed in accordance with the month-end timetable.
- Monitor and complete the virement reconciliation, contingencies and central reports and ensuring these are accurate and up to date.
- Prepare a high quality and accurate monthly budget monitoring report for SCT, including the capital, grant and savings appendices.
- Maintain the Capital Programme ensuring that underspends, overspends and slippage are highlighted and any changes are reported to the Senior Command Team/PCC.
- Ensure timely and quality financial commentary for SCT and budget holders.
- Coordinate non statutory returns (e.g. Uplift, Covid) on behalf of the organisation and provide external information where necessary.
- Provide guidance and steer to the monthly workforce plan reconciliation to ensure pay recs are accurate and timely.
- Ensure department compliance with corporate policies, procedures and time-scales in relation to those local financial management responsibilities detailed above.
- Be responsible for the completion and timely submission of external returns including DCLG returns, CIPFA Benchmarking, Objective Analysis and any other returns becoming due. This also includes Freedom of Information requests.
- Provide direction and leadership to a team of Accountants. Delegate the work of the Accountants to meet requirements and the needs of stakeholders.
- Build capacity and capability across the team by proactively managing performance, setting clear and stretching objectives, providing regular constructive feedback, training and development opportunities and timely PDRs.